Thursday 5 August 2021

Mishra Chaapu and Viloma Chaapu

 Today morning, I was singing Nannu Brova in Lalitha. In all honesty, this is a song that I have spent some little time on. However, there was something I saw for the first time only today.

Both in the notations, I have received from my teacher and in the TKG book, it is listed as Mishra Chaapu. Which to even somebody with my limited knowledge starts on the double beat.. or expressed as takita taka dhimi. Now since this composition, starts on the dhimi portion, I automatically assumed that I would start with the double beat and begin the song on the second single beat. I had mentally classified it as an atheetha eduppu composition and got on with it.

However, for the life of me I could not figure out why the song would be notated like that. Why was the avarthanam showing as starting from taka dhimi and ending with takita? It made no sense. It could not be a mistake. And I do not think TKG makes mistakes like that. I checked to see how other mishra chappu compositions of other composers had been notated by him. And they were all nicely starting on the takita bit? But why this here? Then I checked to see if this was unique to Shyama Shastri and his lineage. But Janani ninu vina starts nicely on samam . So I could not make out. It bothered me a lot. However a query to my friend Ramya got the answer. According to her this is a viloma chaapu composition which does start on the taka dhimi portion. She directed me to ninnu vinaaga in Poorvikalyani by the same composer which starts the same way.

Now, of course this has me wondering if there is a viloma Khanda Chaapu composition lurking somewhere? If anybody stumbling on this post has the answer to this one, please do post in the comments section

No comments:

Post a Comment