Tuesday 2 February 2016

Rain on parched desert

I am a bloody ignoramus... what can I say.. there is so much i do not know.. my ignorance is so deep , abiding and profound that it still sometimes amazes me.

Today, I desultorily decided to try out this new classical music channel of AIR .. http://airbengaluru.com. There was somebody playing Bilahari on the violin and it was extraordinarily good. It was not just good but it was such a deep sound.. so satisfying ... and I thought to myself this channel the sound is so good and I kept listening. After that Bilahari, an announcer came on and said it was somebody called avaneeswaram sr vinu... and I wrote the name down. I had never heard this name before. This is what I mean. There is sound like this out there and I did not know it. After that he played Thaye Yashoda and I just knew I would be out there listening to every single thing this person has played and which is available on the net.

I was just in Chennai last month and attending various concerts and some were good and yet not one of them blew me away. I left the concerts of even the current reigning queens castigating myself and telling myself that I was getting jaded. If I was not able to be moved by the music then the fault was mine. But today that changed. Do you know that feeling when for the first time you hear somebody or chance on a new author or a new actor and for one nano second the world stops spinning.... that feeling that you have perchance stumbled on to something humungous.

There is a Ranjani( just 2.45 mts), a Brindavani( 4.something minutes).... they are all so superb. His violin weeps, it dances, the sound that he produces is exuberant( .45 mts of kathanakuthuhalam), it is plaintive, it is meditative.. it encapsulates every shade of emotion the human heart experiences.

Absolutely not to be missed. After a long time.. a cleansing energising shower on  my parched soul!!

No comments:

Post a Comment